Basic Scanning Techniques
Handling the ultrasound transducer / probe
- Hold the probe like a pencil -- use your thumb and forefingers.
- Apply a sufficient amount of gel to the probe or muscle.
- Rest the heel of your hand on the muscle.
- Apply the probe perpendicular to the muscle.
- Apply resting probe pressure -- like you are writing on a paper.
- Ensure the surface of the probe has continuous, even contact.
- Avoid forcefully pressing the probe into the muscle.
- Avoid insufficient gel, or lack of contact. You'll notice black vertical streaks on the image.
- Avoid having a tight cord, it will tilt the probe. Put it over your shoulder.